Springwood has a well-earned air of history, with more than 130 years of prominent owners, additions, renovations and, having even at one point suffered from a fire, one that thankfully did not destroy the home before it was moved to its new and present location.
Samuel Noble had come to Anniston from Rome, Georgia to build his iron industry. Upon finding this beautiful vacant land surrounding what is now Anniston, and finding that it had prolific iron deposits, he and his partner, General Tyler, went to work in developing a foundry and all the businesses and infrastructure that would be needed. In his quest to make Anniston the "Model City", he also added churches and educational facilities.
Around the year of 1882, Samuel Noble, while looking for a spot for his own home, found that he favored the location at the top of 13th Street and the now Woodstock Avenue. Other beautiful homes were built along this avenue, Sam Noble's home being the grandest of some of Anniston's prominent families. When he died an early and unexpected death only 6 short years later, it was his daughter who then occupied the home.
Years later and several owners past, with many very special additions, some of which you will read about in the Accommodations page, the Woodruff family in 1947 bought the home. The elder doctor Woodruff had moved to the Carriage House and his son, Dr. Woodruff Jr. and his wife, Harriet, lived in the home with their growing family. It was during this time, about 1967, when the Anniston School Board grew enamored with the property that Samuel Noble's home was sitting on and, by way of Eminent Domain, seized the property, giving the Woodruff family the offer to have the home moved. Much credit is to be given to Dr. Gerald Woodruff Jr. as it was he who decided to save the home and have it moved. It was too historically important not to do so. The home was then moved to its present location along a mountainside with a spring running down the mountain into the property's pond. This area of mountainside and hollow is known affectionately as Booger Hollow, a place where in previous years, children played on this deserted woodland, talking about "the boogie man", hence Booger Hollow. Its beautiful and tranquil surrounds now only suggest a place of pure tranquility and joy!
Samuel Noble's home has been known as the Noble Home and then, when listed on Alabama's Register of Historic Homes, became the Noble-Woodruff House. The Woodruff family had owned the home longer than any other residents, from 1947-2014 and they called the home Camwood for family members.
Upon purchasing the home in 2014, the present owners, Bob and Carolyn Orchid, have aptly named it Springwood to depict the beautiful mountainside spring running from the mountaintop and through the woods, down to the pond. Samuel Noble's home will always have the formal name of Noble-Woodruff House, but is now called Springwood, representing the beauty that surrounds the home. Sam Noble would be proud that his wonderful home has been lovingly cared for and enjoyed by many!